South Africa Project
In 2007, TWBSA featured 3 Canadians: Noble Kelly (IT and Director of TWB-Canada), Elspeth Anderson & Lily Vu (Vancouver School District); and the rest of the team from Hawaii: Lynn Imai (Mid-Pacific Academy), Jim Metz (UH-KCC), Carl Wheeler (Ret. Mid-Pacific Academy) and Jennifer Hong (Punahou School).
The team worked with 118 South African teachers in the Senior Phase (Grades 7,8,9) Mathematics, Natural Science and a computer workshop designed for teachers in these subjects. TWB-SA also set up the 4th computer lab in a rural school – a TWB cooperative effort involving teachers in Hawaii, Cornell University, Rotary Clubs, and local businesses and friends in South Africa. One South African teacher and 2 students were sponsored by TWBSA to attend a Global Youth Leadership Summit and peace camp in Dubrovnik, Croatia – see report in TWB Reflections -2007 links below.
The success of TWB-SA has led to the creation of TWB-China. For the 2nd consecutive year, workshops with Middle and primary school teachers ofScience and English teachers were held in Dujiangyan and Chengdu, Sichuan Province, in July/August 2007. The Agilent-TWB-China team: Science – Harold Lee (Ret. Punahou School), Chenyan Song (UH-Manoa), Carol Brennan (UH – CRDG), Shi-Fu (Phd. Candidate – UH) ; English – Andy Corcoran (CAIS- San Francisco), Lyla Berg (Hawaii State Rep. – 18th District), Jennifer Hong (Punahou School) – assisted by volunteers – Lani Mednick (USC student), Gora Peer (South Africa Coordinator – TWB-SA). In 2007, 229teachers of Science, and English, attended 2 workshops. ATWB also held 2 conferences with more than 130 Primary and Middle School administrators in Wolong and Chengdu. We are grateful to Agilent Technologies Foundationfor support and sponsorship of the China project.
2007 – Reflections – South Africa & China
- Dr. Lyla Berg – Hawaii State House (PRC)
- Jim Metz – University of Hawaii – (KCC) (RSA)
- Dr. Carol Brennan – University High School – Honolulu (PRC)
- Elspeth Anderson TWBSA – Vancouver, Canada (RSA)
- Shi Fu – University of Hawaii (PRC)
- Andy Corcoran – Chinese American International School (PRC)
- Noble Kelly – TWB-SA – Vancouver, Canada (RSA)
- Harold Lee – Punahou School – Retired (PRC)
- Lily Vu – TWBSA – Vancouver, Canada (RSA)
- Jennifer Hong – Punahou School (RSA & PRC)
- Carl Wheeler – (Retired) Mid Pacific Institute (RSA)
- Lynn Imai – Mid Pacific Institute – Math (RSA)
- Global Youth Leadership Summit – Croatia (RSA)
- Noble Kelly Reflections (RSA)
- TV – KGMB – Hawaii – TWBSA
- PUNAHOU SCHOOL BULLETIN – Summer Issue 2007 – Lessons of South Africa